Food especially meat was kept near the smoke of fires for centuries to dry the food and also ensure that animals did not eat the food. It was observed that the smoke-infused new delicious flavors in the food. Hence, chefs and cooks worldwide are using smokers to enhance the flavor of the smoked dishes which they are making. If you are interested in starting a food truck you may be interested in purchasing a smoker so that you can serve newly smoked dishes in your food truck. Since smoked dishes are delicious, this will increase the number of customers for your food truck.
There is a great selection of smokers out there depending on your budget, amount of food which you wish to prepare and other factors. While most restaurants are using electric smokers, for food trucks, propane, or offset smokers should be used since there is no power supply to the food truck. It is also not advisable to use charcoal smokers, since they are messy and the smoke could suffocate people around the food truck. Since there are a large number of smokers available for sale, online and offline, it is advisable to look for the following features of smokers that you should buy for your food trucks.
In the smokers, the food is kept in a chamber, and smoke is generated which circulates around the food, to infuse a flavor. Cold smoking is used for meats like ham, salmon, and others which contain protein. Keeping the temperature low ensures that the protein is retained. Hot smoking involves smoking food at a higher temperature of up to 185 degree Fahrenheit. After hot smoking the food is fully cooked and can be eaten. If it is eaten at a later date, it may be reheated. At higher temperatures, the fat and moisture in the food will be lost, so it is advisable to monitor the temperature closely.
Propane smokers are extremely popular for food trucks since all other equipment in the food truck is also gas powered.
– One of the considerations while purchasing a propane smoker is the cooking surface. This depends on the amount of food which will be cooked for customers of the food truck.
– Another important consideration is the heating capacity of the smoker, the thermal output is usually measured in BTU. The smoker will have a number of burners, each of equal capacity.
– The design of the smoker should be suitable for a food truck, including the material used for fabrication is also an important consideration. Stainless steel is used extensively since it does not corrode. Traditionally food was smoked using wood fires and Offset smokers are popular since they use wood,charcoal for heating The wood may be combined with pellets or charcoal.
– One of the consideration while purchasing a offset smoker, is to check the fuel required. Some of the smokers can use a combination of fuels which is useful, since it offers additional flexibility.
– The capacity of the smoker in terms of amount of food which can be cooked is also an important consideration. and larger capacity smokers are available.
– Another factor to be considered is the construction of the smoker, material used It should also have a provision for cleaning the smoker easily after it is used.